Flagbearer of the trance movement for more than twenty years, Grammy-nominated Dutchman Armin van Buuren needs no introduction. Instead, here are 10 sound facts about one of the world’s most influential figures in electronic dance music.
1. One of his earliest musical influences was electronic music pioneer Jean-Michel Jarre.
2. Before his career took off, he thought it was wise to have a backup plan, and so he studied for, and obtained, a Master’s degree in Law.
3. He’s won twelve DJ Awards, twenty-seven International Dance Music Awards and been ranked the world’s number one DJ by DJ Mag a record five times, four of them consecutively.
4. Van Buuren was the subject of a book, Armin Only: A Year in the Life of World's No. 1 DJ (2009), by Dutch author Coen Bom, in which he reported on the superstar DJ's hectic life and tried to find the secret of his extraordinary success.
5. In 2011, for his services to music, Van Buuren was appointed Officer of the Order of Orange Nassau, a civil and military honour that was founded by Dutch Queen regent Emma in 1892.
6. One of the highlights of his career was his performance for the newly crowned King and Queen of the Netherlands, Willem-Alexander and Máxima, in 2013.
7. He was the first solo dance artist to play “The World’s Most Famous Arena”, New York’s Madison Square Garden. The event was sold out.
8. In 2014, his single This Is What It Feels Like featuring Trevor Guthrie was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Dance Record. Van Buuren is one of only four trance artists to ever receive a Grammy nomination. The video has received more than 80 million views to date.
9. Van Buuren released a trance remix of HBO’s Game of Thrones theme song, composed by Ramin Djawadit. At the beginning of the track, you can hear the trance titan offering his thanks for being asked to do an official remix of the song.
10. His radio show, A State of Trance, which launched in 2001, is broadcast weekly to more than 41 million listeners in 84 different countries from the custom-built radio studio in Amsterdam.
Armin van Buuren, City of Dreams, Level 2, The Boulevard, City of Dreams, Estrada Do Istmo, Cotai
+853 6638 4999 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook for all the latest updates.