With more than 40 albums, 22 films and appearances in nearly 50 TV shows (and counting), Adam Cheng, aged 70, has been a household name in Hong Kong for 50 years. Ahead of the singer and actor’s 50th-anniversary concert in Macau on September 30, we look back at some of the highlights of his extraordinary career.
1. Born February 24, 1947, Adam Cheng began his acting career in 1966, participating in the Hong Kong Drama Competition, in which he won the Best Actor Award for his performance in Lost My Way.
2. He joined TVB in 1970. He was initially assigned as a singer to perform in music programmes, and he released his debut album in 1971.
3. In 1973, he played his first leading role in Romance in the Rain, and also sang its theme song. This was the first time that a TVB drama series had a theme song of its own.
4. Throughout the 1970s, he gained a reputation for playing the lead roles in Wuxia TV dramas such as The Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre.
5. Cheng studied kung fu under the tutelage of the late, legendary martial artist, action choreographer and film director Lau Kar-leung.
6. In 1986, Cheng starred in the TV series Chor Lau-heung, which won an audience rating of 70 per cent in Taiwan. This led to a temporary ban of all Hong Kong TV series in Taiwan to protect the local product.
7. Cheng starred in the stage musical Cyrano in 1990, adapted from play Cyrano De Bergerac written by Edmond Rostand in 1897.
8. Of more than 40 albums Cheng has recorded, one was a Chinese opera record.
9. First aired in 1992, the TV series The Greed of Man starred Cheng in the role of "Ting Hai", a shady stock market speculator. Since then, nearly every time Cheng has released a new movie or television show, Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index has declined.
10. In 2012, he received The IFPI Hong Kong 45th Anniversary Hall of Fame Award.
Adam Cheng World Tour In Macao
Cotai Arena, The Venetian Macao, Estrada da Baia de N. Senhora da Esperanca
+853 2882 8818, cotaiticketing.com
Follow us on Facebook for all the latest updates.